Image: Shawan Sadek Saeed Bujak
Berit Roald  /  AP
Shawan Sadek Saeed Bujak was found guilty of plotting to attack a Danish newspaper that caricatured the Prophet Muhammad, in the first convictions under the country's anti-terror laws.
updated 1/30/2012 9:04:17 AM ET 2012-01-30T14:04:17

Two men accused of plotting to attack a Danish newspaper that caricatured the Prophet Muhammad were found guilty Monday of terror charges in Norway, the first convictions under the country's anti-terror laws.

The Oslo district court sentenced alleged ringleader Mikael Davud to seven years in prison and co-defendant Shawan Sadek Saeed Bujak to three and a half years.

Judge Oddmund Svarteberg said the court found that Davud "planned the attack together with al-Qaida."

A third defendant, David Jakobsen, was cleared of terror charges but convicted of helping the others acquire explosives. Jakobsen, who assisted police in the investigation, was sentenced to four months.

Investigators say the plot was linked to the same al-Qaida planners behind thwarted attacks against the New York subway system and a British shopping mall in 2009.

The case was Norway's most high-profile terror investigation until last July, when a right-wing extremist killed 77 people in a bomb and shooting massacre.

The three men, who were arrested in July 2010, made some admissions but pleaded innocent to terror conspiracy charges and rejected any links to al-Qaida.

During the trial Davud denied he was taking orders from al-Qaida, saying he was planning a solo raid against the Chinese Embassy in Oslo. He said he wanted revenge for Beijing's oppression of Uighurs, a Muslim minority in western China.

Davud, a Norwegian citizen, also said his co-defendants helped him acquire bomb-making ingredients but didn't know he was planning an attack.

Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad
Prosecutors said the Norwegian cell first wanted to attack Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, whose 12 cartoons of Muhammad sparked furious protests in Muslim countries in 2006, and then changed plans to seek to murder one of the cartoonists instead.

Bujak, an Iraqi Kurd, said the paper and the cartoonist were indeed the targets, but described the plans as "just talk."

Prosecutors had to prove the defendants worked together in a conspiracy, because a single individual plotting an attack is not covered under Norway's anti-terror laws.

During the trial, prosecutors presented testimony obtained in the U.S. in April from three American al-Qaida recruits turned government witnesses.

Jakobsen, an Uzbek national who changed his name after moving to Norway, provided some of the chemicals for the bomb, but claims he did not know they were meant for explosives. Jakobsen contacted police and served as an informant, but still faced charges for his involvement before that.

The men had been under surveillance for more than a year when authorities moved to arrest them in July 2010. Norwegian investigators, who worked with their U.S. counterparts, said the defendants were building a bomb in a basement laboratory in Oslo.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Video: Norway killer reenacts bloodbath for police

  1. Transcript of: Norway killer reenacts bloodbath for police

    NATALIE MORALES, anchor: In the news this morning, in Norway , confessed killer Anders Breivik returned to the youth camp where he killed 69 people, re-enacting his bloodbath for police , shot by shot. NBC 's Michelle Kosinski has more now from London . Michelle , good morning.

    MICHELLE KOSINSKI reporting: Hi , Natalie . Anders Breivik has admitted to killing all of these people in and near Oslo , two different locations, though he has not admitted criminal guilt in court. And as he walked around this island and demonstrated how he killed kids as young as 14, police say still he shows no remorse. Security was extreme for this now unarmed man as police and Anders Breivik followed that same route he took one day last month when he admittedly killed 77 people. They dressed him in a bright bulletproof vest, now for his safety, attached him to a sort of leash and let him lead them for eight hours, explaining, even demonstrating, how he shot dozens of teenagers here at a youth camp.

    Mr. PAAL-FREDRIK HJORT KRABY (Police Prosecutor): There was no expression of regret for his actions.

    KOSINSKI: Just as he appears here, police say Breivik was calm, detailed, cooperative, gave new information. The attack itself, July 25th , lasted an hour before police could arrive and stop it. Hours before, they say Breivik set off a car bomb outside government offices in the capital, killing eight people. In a manifesto distributed just before these attacks, Breivik says he had planned this for years, motivated by strong anti-Muslim sentiment and religious views. Now back on that island, 77 deaths later, he appears to be telling everything. And police are facing questions and criticism now over how they handled the attacks. In fact, Breivik 's attorney just said that Breivik called police 10 times during the attacks to try to surrender but that eight of those calls

    were unanswered. Natalie: Michelle Kosinski reporting from London . Thank you, Michelle .

    MORALES:

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments