OKLAHOMA CITY — Authorities say eight people are hurt after shots rang out in Oklahoma City as thousands of people left the NBA playoff game between the Thunder and the Los Angeles Lakers.
Emergency Medical Services Authority spokeswoman Lara O'Leary says seven people were taken to a hospital with gunshot wounds after the melee Monday night. She says a pregnant woman was also taken to the hospital after she was assaulted in the scuffle.
O'Leary says the pregnant woman and six of the gunshot victims are in good condition Tuesday morning. One person is in critical condition.
Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said a scuffle erupted Monday night in a crowd of people walking toward the Bricktown district, a popular nightlife area, and that it quickly turned ugly.
"Some girls got into it with a group of guys, and the guys opened fire on the women," Nelson said.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Arrest over disappearance of Calif. teen Sierra LaMar; cops suspect murder
- Man survives plunge over Niagara Falls
- Video: RFK Jr. absent from estranged wife's memorial
- Obama to tornado-ravaged Joplin: 'You've grown up quickly'
- Former Rutgers student gets 30 days in webcam spying case
- 3 workers killed by explosion at abandoned oil well in Arkansas
© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.