JAIPUR, India — Police say a man upset over his daughter's lifestyle chopped her head off with a sword and then paraded it through his village before surrendering to authorities in western India.
Marble miner Ogad Singh's 20-year-old daughter had been living with her parents in the Rajasthani village of Dungarji after leaving her husband two years ago.
Police Superintendent Umesh Ojha says Singh was upset by his daughter having affairs with men, and became enraged when she eloped with one of them two weeks ago.
Ojha says Singh forced her to return home Sunday, and beheaded her Monday with a sword.
Rapidly modernizing India faces increasing social clashes as youths resist traditions like arranged marriage or limits on women venturing outside their parents' or husbands' homes.
More world news from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Pro-bailout party prevails in Greek election
- In Egypt, little enthusiasm for presidential finalists
- 14 missing off Indonesia after 10-foot wave hits boat
- Questions swirl as Saudi Arabia buries crown prince
- Video: Obama, Putin meeting looms large for Syria
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.