Image: CBS newsman Mike Wallace.
Evan Agostini  /  Getty Images file
"60 Minutes" correspondent Mike Wallace is pictured in New York City in May.
updated 8/27/2004 7:45:45 AM ET 2004-08-27T11:45:45

The city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission said it would not pursue a disorderly conduct charge against 86-year-old CBS newsman Mike Wallace, who was arrested earlier this month during a confrontation with inspectors outside a Manhattan restaurant.

The “60 Minutes” correspondent was handcuffed and taken to a police precinct on Aug. 10 after he and his driver clashed with inspectors while Wallace picked up a takeout order at a restaurant. He was issued a summons and released.

Wallace said he left the restaurant to find two inspectors interviewing his driver, who they said was double-parked. He said he asked the inspectors what was going on and they told him to get back in the car. They arrested him after he pressed them further, he said.

Allan Fromberg, a spokesman for the TLC, said an investigation had determined that the inspector who had handcuffed Wallace had not yet received his special patrolman status, which authorizes inspectors to use handcuffs and write summonses.

Both inspectors were placed on desk duty, would be issued warnings and would be required to undergo retraining in conflict resolution, Fromberg said.

Wallace said the agency’s commissioner, Matthew Daus, had personally called him to tell him the results of the investigation.

“I’m grateful for Commissioner Daus, for a thorough investigation and the decision at which they arrived,” Wallace said.

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments