updated 1/8/2005 4:05:27 PM ET 2005-01-08T21:05:27

A conservative columnist has been dropped by a major syndication service because he accepted a payment from the Bush administration to promote the No Child Left Behind law to fellow blacks and to give the education secretary media time.

  1. Other political news of note
    1. Animated Boehner: 'There's nothing complex about the Keystone Pipeline!'

      House Speaker John Boehner became animated Tuesday over the proposed Keystone Pipeline, castigating the Obama administration for not having approved the project yet.

    2. Budget deficits shrinking but set to grow after 2015
    3. Senate readies another volley on unemployment aid
    4. Obama faces Syria standstill
    5. Fluke files to run in California

Armstrong Williams, one of the nation’s leading black conservative voices, has acknowledged that a company he runs was paid $240,000 by the Education Department, and he called criticism of his relationship with the department “legitimate.”

Tribune Media Services said it told Williams on Friday that it was halting distribution of his weekly newspaper column.

Apparent conflict of interest
The company, a subsidiary of the Tribune Co., said it accepted his explanation that the payment was for advertising on his radio and television programs.

“Nevertheless, accepting compensation in any form from an entity that serves as a subject of his weekly newspaper columns creates, at the very least, the appearance of a conflict of interest. Under these circumstances, readers may well ask themselves if the views expressed in his columns are his own, or whether they have been purchased by a third party,” a statement said.

Williams also hosts a radio show and appears regularly on CNN as a commentator. CNN said it would evaluate the situation, pointing out that Williams has no formal contract with the network.

“We will consider very seriously this issue before booking him as a guest again,” said CNN spokeswoman Megan Mahoney.

Disappointment expressed
A contract required Williams’ company, the Graham Williams Group, to produce radio and TV spots featuring one-minute “reads” by Education Secretary Rod Paige and to allow Paige and other department officials to appear as studio guests with Williams.

Williams also was to use his influence with other black journalists to get them to discuss No Child Left Behind, a centerpiece of President Bush’s domestic agenda, which aims to raise achievement among poor and minority children and penalizes many schools that don’t make progress.

The National Association of Black Journalists expressed disappointment in Williams, who is not a member of the group.

“I thought we in the media were supposed to be watchdogs, not lapdogs,” said NABJ Vice President-Print Bryan Monroe, assistant vice president-news at Knight Ridder. “I thought we had an administration headed by a president who took an oath to uphold the First Amendment, not try to rent it.”

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Friday that the decisions on the contract were made by the Education Department.

Payments defended
The Education Department defended its decision as a “permissible use of taxpayer funds under legal government contracting procedures.” The point was to help parents, particularly in poor and minority communities, understand the benefits of the law, the department said.

The radio show “The Right Side,” which Williams both hosts and owns, is carried by the Lynchburg, Va.-based Liberty Channel, which is affiliated with the Rev. Jerry Falwell, by Sky Angel satellite network, a Christian organization, and by Hunt Valley, Md.-based Sinclair Broadcast Group of Hunt Valley, Md.

Messages seeking comment were left Saturday from the Liberty Channel, TV One and Sinclair, but there was no immediate response.

His other show, “On Point” where Williams interviewed Paige last year is carried by TV One, a Silver Spring, Md.-based network aimed at African Americans. The Washington Post quoted Williams as saying he had disclosed his contract to TV One, but said chief executive Johnathon Rodgers told the newspaper the network knew nothing about it and has taken the show off the air while it investigates.

Williams said the criticism was “legitimate.”

“Even though I’m not a journalist — I’m a commentator — I feel I should be held to the media ethics standard,” he told The Associated Press on Friday. “My judgment was not the best. I wouldn’t do it again, and I learned from it.”

Information about the contract with Williams was first reported by USA Today, and Williams’ Web site, www.armstrongwilliams.com, carried the text of the newspaper’s article.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments