updated 4/10/2005 11:47:08 AM ET 2005-04-10T15:47:08

A Frenchman wounded in last week’s bombing at a Cairo street market died as he arrived in France for treatment, bringing the death toll in the attack to four, police and the French Embassy said Sunday.

The blast in a traditional market in Old Cairo on Thursday also killed an American man, a French woman and an unidentified third person whom police suspect was the bomber.

A French diplomat said the Frenchman was being flown home for medical treatment but died on arrival. The blast wounded 18 other people.

Egyptian police said Sunday that 15 people have been detained for questioning about the blast, which was caused by a seven-pound, nail-packed homemade bomb.

Authorities are investigating whether a suicide bomber carried out the bombing. Prosecutor-General Maher Abdel Wahed has said the investigation revealed that the attack was “an individual act.”

Egyptian Cabinet spokesman Magdy Rady has said the bomb either exploded prematurely or the bomber intended to commit suicide in the blast.

The government’s statement that the attack was a lone act counter a claim of responsibility by a previously unknown group that appeared on the Internet on Friday. The claim identified the bomber.

Egyptian officials have sought to limit the potential damage to the tourism industry, the country’s No. 1 source of foreign exchange. They have stressed that so far there is no evidence the bomber belonged to a militant group.

This weekend, tourists returned to Khan al-Khalili, where police mounted a security presence heavier than usual.

During the 1990s, Islamic insurgents often attacked tourists in a bid to cripple the tourism industry and bring down the government.

The last terrorist attack in Cairo was in September 1997, when gunmen attacked a bus of German tourists, killing 11. Two months later Islamic insurgents killed 58 tourists at a pharaonic temple in the southern city of Luxor, the last major attack of the 1990s insurgency.

Last October, bomb attacks in two Sinai resorts killed 34 people. Those attacks were linked to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments