Image: Margaret Hassan
Al Jazeera via AP file
Margaret Hassan, the kidnapped British director of CARE International, seen in this image from an undated video aired on Al-Jazeera television last October. A video released later apparently showed her murder.
updated 5/1/2005 11:06:35 AM ET 2005-05-01T15:06:35

Iraqi forces backed by the U.S. military on Sunday detained a number of suspects in the abduction of a British aid worker believed killed last year, the U.S. military said.

Articles apparently related to Margaret Hassan, the 59-year-old director of CARE international in Iraq, also were recovered during the morning raid south of Baghdad, according to the British and U.S. Embassy.

U.S. military spokesman Maj. Darryl Wright announced the arrests, but it was not immediately known how many suspects were detained.

Hassan, who also held Irish and Iraqi citizenship, was abducted in Baghdad on Oct. 19 on her way to work.

Her captors later issued videos showing her pleading for Prime Minister Tony Blair to withdraw troops from Iraq and calling for the release of female Iraqi prisoners.

On Nov. 16, the Arab satellite television station Al-Jazeera said it had received a video showing a hooded militant shooting a blindfolded woman in the head. British officials said they believed the woman in the video was Hassan, and her family said they believed she was dead.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments