updated 7/20/2005 9:19:39 AM ET 2005-07-20T13:19:39

An Italian prosecutor asked an appeals court Wednesday to issue arrest warrants for six more purported CIA operatives, accusing them of helping to plan the kidnapping of a radical Muslim cleric in 2003.

An Italian court issued warrants for 13 purported CIA officials last month but turned down a request by prosecutor Armando Spataro to issue warrants for six people accused of helping prepare the abduction of the Egyptian.

The 13 are accused of seizing Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr, known as Abu Omar, on a Milan street on Feb. 17, 2003, and sending him to Egypt, where he reportedly was tortured, a Milan prosecutor has said.

The prosecutor’s request, obtained by The Associated Press, said the six were involved in studying the area where the cleric was seized and his habits, as well as the best routes to the highway the kidnappers would use to bring the Egyptian to Aviano, a joint U.S.-Italian air base north of Venice.

Spataro said he expected the three-judge panel to rule on his request within the next few days.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments