LONDON - Seven years after Madeleine McCann vanished from her bedroom in a Portuguese resort, the parents of the missing British girl vowed never to stop searching for her.
"I don’t think any parent would (give up),” Kate McCann told the U.K.'s ITV show Lorraine, on Thursday. “If we haven’t found Madeleine or we haven’t found what happened then we haven’t done enough. There is still work to be done.”
Great progress has been made with the investigation since London’s Metropolitan Police reopened the case in July after two years of reviewing case documents, McCann added. Portuguese officials closed the original probe in 2008.
Last month investigators launched an appeal for information about a man who police said targeted British tourists and their daughters in and near Portugal’s Prai de Luz resort around the time of Madeleine’s disappearance.
“People breaking into apartments are potentially linked,” said Madeleine’s father Gerry McCann. “We know for the families that can be really difficult for the children that have been traumatized and many of these cases are going back years so we’d really like to thank them.”
“It’s really building up a picture of what was going on in and around Prai de Luz immediately preceding and after Madeleine being taken and so we are really encouraged by it,” he added.
While the couple draws support from each other and their twins Sean and Amelie, now 9, they also thanked the public for their “incredible support.”
They have adapted to life without Madeleine but Kate McCann said the “limbo of not knowing is horrible for all our family."
The 3-year-old's disappearance from an apartment in a holiday complex on the night of May 3, 2007, garnered international attention.