When police caught a man roaming through Sandra Bullock’s Los Angeles home last month, he was carrying written materials that showed he'd been on her property before and believed he was married to her and was the father of her young son, according to a just-released LAPD search warrant affidavit.
Joshua Corbett, 39, who was spotted by police coming down the stairs inside Bullock's house, has pleaded not guilty to nearly two dozen felony counts related to the break-in, including stalking, possession of an illegal machine gun and residential burglary. The affidavit states that Bullock was awakened by a loud banging around 6:30 a.m. on June 8 and a short time later saw a man later identified as Corbett walk past her bedroom, where she called 911.
Shortly after being detained, the document states, Corbett yelled out “Sandy” several times, and said, "Sandy, I'm sorry. Please don’t press charges.” The document also states police recovered a diary and letter in which Corbett said that he had previously visited her home, had watched her return home from a gala event, and referenced two large gates he said he hoped she would open for him.
According to the affidavit, in the letter Corbett wrote that until Bullock opened the gates, "I will forever be thinking of you and Louie (sic) my son as you are my wife by law."
During an interview with police, Corbett allegedly admitted to jumping the front gate and breaking into Bullock's residence. He told detectives he “wanted to show security that her residence was not impervious and she was in danger.” Corbett explained that “he did not want to make Sandra upset and did not expect her to be home.” Corbett was also carrying a concealed firearm permit issued in Utah, according to police.
The warrant was issued for the search of Corbett's residence and a hangar at Bob Hope Airport in Burbank.
First published July 15 2014, 12:37 PM
Andrew Blankstein is an investigative reporter for NBC News. He covers the Western United States, specializing in crime, courts and homeland security. Blankstein worked at the Los Angeles Times over two decades, much of that time covering breaking news, law enforcement and the justice system in Southern California both for the paper and latimes.com.
... Expand Bio
He was part of the team of journalists that earned the paper Pulitzer Prizes in 1998 for the North Hollywood shootout and in 2004 for the Southern California wildfires. In 2010, he was named a â€œDistinguished Journalistâ€ by the Greater Los Angeles chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
Blankstein graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst with a degree in history and a secondary emphasis on public law.
He joined NBC News in 2013 and is based in Los Angeles.