Feedback
News

Venezuela: Officials Suspend Recall Campaign to Oust Pres Maduro

Venezuela's electoral authority suspended a recall referendum to oust President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday, less than a week before it was set to start.

The announcement throws the opposition's key campaign to oust the socialist leader into disarray. The opposition immediately blasted the decision as unconstitutional.

Officials cited alleged fraud in a preliminary signature-gathering effort as justification for blocking the opposition from proceeding to the next stage of its push to hold a referendum on Maduro's removal. His critics blame the late President Hugo Chavez's heir for Venezuela's economic collapse, bare store shelves and the jailing of opposition leaders.

RELATED: Venezuela: High Court Deals Blow to Bid to Unseat President Maduro

"We alert the diplomatic corps in our country that the government today is pushing toward a very dangerous scenario," former presidential candidate Henrique Capriles said on Twitter.

The official announcement came as a shock to many Venezuelans, who were gearing up for the chance to sign petitions next week seeking the embattled leader's removal. To trigger a stay-or-go referendum, the opposition needed to collect and validate some 4 million signatures from 20 percent of the electorate in 24 states over three days next week.

Millions protest in streets of Venezuela 2:58

Critics of Venezuela's 17-year left-wing administration have made the recall their central political issue after being sidelined in Congress and in virtually all other public institutions. But the campaign had already become mostly symbolic after elections officials in September said no vote would take place this year.

That timing is crucial. A successful vote to oust Maduro this year would have triggered a presidential election and given the opposition a good shot at winning power. If Maduro is voted out in 2017, though, his vice president will finish the presidential term, leaving the socialists in charge.

RELATED: Venezuela: Health Crisis Means Kid's Scraped Knee Can Be Life or Death

The electoral council's decision Thursday was in response to rulings earlier in the day by courts in four Venezuelan states that found there was fraud in the initial stage of the petition drive. During that stage the opposition had collected signatures from 1 percent of electorate.

Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro (C) receives military honors at Maiquetia airport, in Caracas, Venezuela October 20, 2016.
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro (C) receives military honors at Maiquetia airport, in Caracas, Venezuela October 20, 2016. HANDOUT / Reuters

But in standing by those low-court rulings it appeared to be ignoring its own decision in August validating the signatures and allowing the process to move forward. It gave no indication if and when the process would be resumed.

"In adherence with the constitution, the National Electoral Council abides by the decisions ordered by the tribunals and has sent instructions to postpone the process of signature gathering until new judicial instructions are known," it said in a statement.

RELATED: 'We're Hungry': Thousands Protest in Venezuela's 'Toma de Caracas'

Although the government-stacked electoral board had already thrown a number of obstacles in the way of Maduro's opponents, many had hoped that the next stage of the complex process would have drawn onto the streets millions of Venezuelans who polls show overwhelmingly favor firing Maduro, who they blame for triple-digit inflation and long food lines.

The ruling comes on the heels of another decision by the electoral council this week to suspend by about six months gubernatorial elections that were slated for year-end which the opposition was heavily favored to win.

Follow NBC News Latino on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.