Khaled Desouki / AFP - Getty Images
Osama Mohamed Morsi, son of Egypt's ousted president Mohammed Morsi, speaks during a press conference in Cairo on Monday.
CAIRO - The family of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi on Monday accused the country's military of "kidnapping" him and said they would seek help from the International Criminal Court.
In the first statement from Morsi's family since his July 3 overthrow by the military, his daughter Shaimaa told a news conference in Cairo that they hold the army responsible for his "safety and security."
She said the family would seek legal help from around the world.
The move puts the spotlight on Morsi whereabouts and how he is being treated.
The Islamist president has been held incommunicado at an undisclosed location since the power shift, which the Muslim Brotherhood – and countries in the region including Turkey – regard as a coup.
Hassan Ammar / AP
A supporter of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi chants slogans against Egyptian Defense Minister Gen. Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi during a demonstration outside the Defense Ministry in Cairo, Sunday.
Officials in the country’s interim government insist he is safe and is being held for his own protection.
The Muslim Brotherhood has held near daily street protests in Cairo and across the Egypt demanding his reinstatement.
However, a panel of legal experts has already begun work to revise Egypt's constitution, a vital first step on the road to fresh elections ordered by the army.
Setting a highly ambitious timeframe, the military wants new elections in around six months and has tasked a panel of 10 legal experts to present proposed changes to the constitution within 30 days for review before a broader-based body, Reuters reported.
The original constitution was approved by a referendum last year, but was denounced by opponents of Morsi as leaning too far towards Islamism.
First published July 22 2013, 6:04 AM