Six people who allegedly facilitated a massive unauthorized party — which left a former NFL lineman's New York home trashed as he watched it unfold on Twitter — have been arrested and were due to appear in court Thursday evening, officials said.
The arrests came after a three-week investigation of a raucous Labor Day weekend party at a property owned by former New England Patriots and Los Angeles Raiders lineman Brian Holloway.
"Today's arrests send a strong message to the youth in our community, this kind of behavior will not be tolerated," Rensselaer County Sheriff Jack Mahar said in a statement Thursday.
Authorities believe that the six arrested drew between 200 and 400 people, many of them teens, to the Aug. 31 party in Stephentown, which had been publicized across social media channels.
The rowdy revelers allegedly smashed windows and glass doors, punched dozens of holes in walls splattered with graffiti, and urinated on rugs and carpets.
Holloway in a vacant room of his home where people held an Aug. 31 party.
Holloway, who was staying at a Florida residence at the time and had thought the sprawling New York house was vacant, watched the out-of-control bash unfold via Twitter, where the revelers posted messages and photos of themselves wreaking havoc.
And by the time police showed up at his New York property, there was upwards of $20,000 in damage.
"We were getting eyewitness reports of what was happening while it was happening," Holloway told the Associated Press. "We couldn't believe what was going down."
As Holloway used the tweets as evidence to track down the alleged culprits — many of them underage teens who continue to tweet about the rager even as cops chased them away — authorities launched an investigation of their own, which led to the arrests.
Holloway attracted national attention after he reposted the party pictures the revelers had taken on his website, helpmesave300.com, which he launched to get the culprits to come forward.
But some parents of teenagers identified were angered by the website — which used some of the party-goers’ real names — and there was even talk of a lawsuit against Holloway. After the backlash, Holloway took the names off the website.
The six alleged ringleaders include:
— Seth Hawk, 19, of Grafton, N.Y., who was charged with third-degree burglary and fourth-degree criminal mischief, both felonies; and endangering the welfare of a child and unlawfully dealing with a child, both misdemeanors, for allegedly organizing, advertising and providing alcohol for the party.
— Juan Santana, 20, of Grafton, N.Y., who was charged with second-degree criminal trespass, endangering the welfare of a child and unlawfully dealing with a child for allegedly providing alcohol for the party, all misdemeanors.
— Cody D. Blain, 21, of Berlin, N.Y., who was charged with second-degree criminal trespass, endangering the welfare of a child and unlawfully dealing with a child for allegedly providing alcohol for the party, all misdemeanors.
Holloway stands behind a graffiti-stained wall left behind by some of the people who broke into his home and held an Aug. 31 party.
— Meghan Loiselle, 18, of Green Island, N.Y., who was charged with felony fourth-degree grand larcey for allegedly stealing a granite eagle statue worth upwards of $1,200, as well as second-degree criminal trespass.
— Mackenzie Grogan, 17, of Cohoes, who was charged with fourth-degree felony grand larceny for allegedly stealing the eagle statue, as well as second-degree criminal trespass.
— Keely C. Sullivan, 18, of Troy, N.Y., who was charged with fourth-degree felony grand larceny for allegedly stealing the eagle statue, as well as second-degree criminal trespass.
Authorities are continuing their investigation and more arrests are expected, according to the sheriff's office's statement.
"We are still in the process of interviewing many witnesses and encourage individuals to cooperate with investigators," the statement said.
Holloway had submitted paperwork calling for charges against any of the hundreds of people who allegedly vandalized the home after purportedly waiting more than three weeks for the teens to take responsibility.
NBC News' Eun Kyung Kim contributed to this report.
Related: Twitter alerts ex-NFL player about live party at his home
First published September 26 2013, 6:46 PM