KABUL - Taliban fighters launched a "multiple rocket" attack on the U.S.-run Bagram airfield in Afghanistan late Sunday, defense officials and representatives from the militant group said - but reports about the effectiveness of the strike differed dramatically.
The U.S.-led International Security Force in Afghanistan (ISAF) Joint Command said that the largest base in the country had come under "multiple rocket fire."
ISAF spokesman, Sergeant Peter Bedean, said that the "attack was ineffective and there were no casualties or damage to property reported."
“The International Security Assistance Force engaged the enemy with a precision strike and killed one enemy combatant,” he said.
However, in an email to NBC News, Afghan Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid claimed that its attackers "destroyed an aircraft and other electronic stuff as well as damaging the base."
The attack came just over 24-hours after Secretary of State John Kerry left the country where he had made an unannounced visit for talks with Afghani President Hamid Karzai.
The focus had been the Bilateral Security Agreement - which will sketch out the proposed U.S. military presence in Afghanistan after the 2014 withdrawal.
The deadline for finalizing the agreement looms at the end of October.
NBC News' Henry Austin reported from London.