At least four people have been killed, including a mother who was shot at a family gathering, and 22 others wounded in shootings over Mother’s Day weekend.
The weekend’s latest fatality took place around 3:40 p.m. Sunday when a teen was shot in the left side of his chest in the 200 block of West 116th Street. The man, whose exact age was not immediately known, was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in grave condition, but he was later pronounced dead according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
Around 1:40 p.m. Saturday a 25-year-old man was killed in the 4100 block of West Adams Street.
Police said a dark-colored minivan pulled alongside the victim and two people exited the car and opened fire. The suspects then jumped back in their van and fled the scene.
The victim suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.
The incident is believed to have been gang related, authorities said.
Another fatality took place just before 3:30 a.m. Saturday in the Little Village neighborhood.
Police said a 34-year-old man was found with multiple gunshot wounds in the 4100 block of West 28th Street. He was pronounced dead at the scene and police are conducting a homicide investigation.
The woman was sitting in a front yard just before 8 p.m. in the 11400 block of South Aberdeen Street after sending her niece off to prom, when gunshots rang out and the family began to run, according to authorities.
Summer Moore, a single mother of three, was shot in the chest and later pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
Police are conducting a homicide investigation.
Sixteen people were wounded in shootings since Saturday afternoon.
- Around 6:14 p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot in the arm in the 6700 block of South Dorchester, police said. The man was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where his condition was not known.
- Less than thirty minutes earlier, a man in his 20s was shot in the lower back in the 300 block of West 115th Street. The man walked into Roseland Community Hospital where he was listed in stable condition.
- Around 3:15 p.m., a teen girl was standing outside of a store in the 4800 block of South Loomis Boulevard with her headphones in when she felt pain and realized she had been shot in her left foot. The teen took herself to Mercy Hospital in good condition, police said.
- Around 1:15 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot in both legs in the 4200 block of West Augusta Boulevard. The man was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition, but details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
- A 34-year-old woman was shot in the side around 4:30 a.m. in the 200 block of West Garfield. The woman was exiting a business on the block when an armed offender approached her and shot her in the lower left side. The woman was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. Area Central detectives are investigating.
- About an hour earlier, a 26-year-old man was shot in the eye in the 3600 block of North Ashland Avenue, in the North Side's Lakeview neighborhood. The man was standing in line outside of a club in the neighborhood when someone fired shots from across the street. The man was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in stable condition.
- Around 2:30 a.m., police shot a teen while responding to a disturbance call in the 5400 block of West Madison Avenue. According to a statement from police, a group was gathered on the block and when officers arrived they saw a 17-year-old man put a handgun in his waistband and flee the scene. Police attempted to apprehend the teen when they claim he turned and pointed the firearm in their direction, forcing them to fire. He was taken to an area hospital and a weapon was recovered from the scene. The shooting is under review by the Independent Police Review Authority.
- Thirty minutes earlier, a 27-year-old woman was shot while standing in a parking lot in the 12200 block of South Halsted Street in the West Pullman neighborhood. The woman was transported in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center. Police said preliminary investigations indicate the woman was not the intended target.
- Around 1:40 a.m. a 21-year-old man was shot in an apparent drive-by shooting in the 1700 block of West 85th Street in the Gresham neighborhood. The man was walking when a dark-colored sedan pulled up and someone in the vehicle opened fire, striking him in the groin and lower back. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition.