A law firm representing the family of a man fatally shot at a "ZombiCon" event in Florida last month said Tuesday that it has filed a wrongful death suit against event organizers and a security company.
The suit against the group Pushing Daizies, which organized the zombie-themed charity event in Fort Myers on Oct. 17, and security company Southwest Florida Security and Investigations, seeks $5 million, law firm Sinclair Law Offices in Port St. Lucie said.
The suit was filed on behalf of the grandmother of Expavious Tyrell Taylor, 20, the young man who was killed when gunfire erupted at the zombie-themed event in downtown Fort Myers at around 11:44 p.m. Five others were wounded, and the shooter remains at large.
"There were more than 20,000 attendees at this event, wearing makeup and costumes, drinking alcohol and waving around weapons — at least one of which we now know was real and loaded," attorney Charles “Kip” Sinclair said in a statement. "The security at this event was pathetic, and they were not trained or equipped to handle this type of crowd."
A call to Southwest Florida Security and Investigations was not immediately returned Tuesday. The law office said it may also sue the city of Fort Myers and the Fort Myers police department.
Pushing Daizies did not immediately return an email seeking comment Tuesday. Fort Myers police have released surveillance video in the hopes of identifying the shooter.