Five Yemenis held at the Guantanamo Bay prison have been transferred overseas, the Department of Defense announced late Wednesday.
Al Khadr Abdallah Muhammad Al Yafi, Fadel Hussein Saleh Hentif, Abd Al-Rahman Abdullah Au Shabati and Mohammed Ahmed Salam were handed over to Oman and Akhmed Abdul Qadir was transferred to Estonia, it said in a statement marking the first movement of detainees so far in 2015.
The move leaves 122 prisoners remaining at the Cuba facility.
“The United States is grateful to the government of Oman for its humanitarian gesture and willingness to support ongoing U.S. efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility,” the statement said. “The United States coordinated with the government of Oman to ensure these transfers took place consistent with appropriate security and humane treatment measures.”
Protesters wearing orange jumpsuits and bags over their heads rallied outside the White House Sunday in a protest that marked the 13th anniversary of the first prisoners arriving.
- Human Rights Activists Protest 'Torture Policies' on Dick Cheney's Porch
- Resettled Gitmo Detainees Can Leave, Uruguay Says
- Five More Guantanamo Transfers as Official in Charge Steps Down