Feedback
News

Judge Revokes Bail for Prep School Grad Convicted of Sex Assault

Judge Revokes Bail for Former Prep Schooler Convicted of Sex Assault 1:43

A graduate of a New England prep school who was convicted of sexually assaulting a younger student was taken into custody Friday after acknowledging that he violated conditions of his bail agreement by missing curfew.

A judge in Merrimack County Superior Court said Owen Labrie would begin his one-year jail sentence immediately.

Labrie had been living with his mother in Tunbridge, Vermont, as he appealed his sentence and the requirement that he register as a sex offender. He was supposed to be home between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. each night, but a prosecutor said he violated it at least eight times.

Related: Owen Labrie, Former Student at Elite Prep School, Convicted of Sex Assault

In court papers, prosecutor Catherine Ruffle said that on or about Feb. 29, a journalist spoke with the 20-year-old Labrie on a train in Cambridge, Massachusetts. That prompted an investigation into Labrie's travels.

In court Friday, a lawyer for the 20-year-old Labrie acknowledged that his client "tried, admittedly, to fly under the radar on three occasions." The attorney said Labrie was sorry.

Related: St. Paul's School Rape Trial: Accuser Tells Court 'I Felt Like I Couldn't Say No'

Labrie was arrested in 2014 days after graduating from St. Paul's School, an elite prep school in Concord.

AUG. 28: Former Prep School Student Acquitted of Felony Sexual Assault 2:30

Labrie was 18 at the time of the encounter in a near-deserted building on the St. Paul's campus. Prosecutors linked the assault to a competition at St. Paul's known as the "Senior Salute" in which seniors seek to have sex with underclassmen.

A jury in August convicted Labrie of misdemeanor sex assault charges and a felony charge of using a computer to lure an underage student for sex. The computer charge, a felony, carries the mandate to register as a sex offender for life.