Man Shot by Secret Service at White House to be Held Until Trial

Dramatic Surveillance Video Shows Shooting Near White House 1:15

A man shot at a White House security checkpoint in May was ordered held pending trial after a brief hearing Monday that included showing surveillance video of the incident.

Jesse Olivieri, age 31, of Ashland, Pennsylvania was shot May 20 at security gate surrounding the White House grounds after Secret Service officers say he repeatedly ignored commands to drop a handgun he was carrying.

Video from a Secret Service surveillance camera showed him walking toward the White House security fence holding the gun as officers aim their weapons at him.

A second closer view recorded the scene as he was shot and fell to the ground.

Related: Man Shot by Secret Service at White House: 'I Came Here To Shoot People'

He survived the single gunshot and appeared in a wheelchair at federal court in Washington Monday. His lawyer asked that Olivieri be released to home detention because he never pointed the gun at anyone and had no criminal record.

Defense lawyer Loui Itoh of the public defenders office said the man was living with his parents and was receiving psychiatric treatment.

Related: Secret Service Shoots Man With Gun Near White House Checkpoint

But U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael Harvey said Olivieri was "a danger to both himself and the community." He called the man's actions "a crime of violence involving law enforcement officers whose job it is to protect the perimeter of the White House."

Washington, DC Fire Department personnel wheel Jessie Olivieri to a waiting ambulance May 20 after he was shot by officers for refusing to drop a handgun he was carrying. Still frame from a Secret Service surveillance video shown in federal court Monday. Secret Service

Prosecutors said Olivieri was carrying a silver .22-caliber Ruger handgun. After he was wounded, the Secret Service says he told an officer, "I came here to shoot people."

An law enforcement official said in May it appeared to be a case of attempted "suicide by cop."

Olivieri is charged with resisting officers with a dangerous weapon. The offense carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.