An auction listing for the gun George Zimmerman used to kill Florida teenager Trayvon Martin has been removed online after a slew of apparently bogus bids.
It's the second time the listing has been taken down. This time, it was following questionable offers from bidders — such as one who went by the handle "Racist McShootFace" — topping $65 million Friday on UnitedGunGroup.com.
The gun was initially placed for sale on GunBroker.com on Thursday. Just as the auction was set to open, a notification appeared saying the "item you have requested is no longer in the system."
Several hours later, the same listing went up on UnitedGunGroup.com. A spokesman for the website said he had spoken with Zimmerman by phone and agreed to list it after GunBroker.com was overwhelmed with traffic.
But on Saturday morning, United Gun Group said the listing had been temporarily taken down.
"United Gun Group was notified by George Zimmerman that he temporarily withdrew his auction to remove false bidders. He plans to re-list his property sometime this week for a shorter duration," it tweeted.
Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch volunteer, spotted Martin walking through his gated Sanford community in February 2012, and, not recognizing him, confronted the 17-year-old African-American. The two had an altercation and Zimmerman fatally shot Martin, who was unarmed.
He was acquitted in 2013 of second-degree murder in the shooting, which sparked a national debate over race and self-defense laws.
The listing for the 9 mm Kel-Tec PF-9 pistol described the gun as a "piece of American History." In the post, Zimmerman, 32, said he had recently gotten the firearm back from the Justice Department and had been contacted by people who wanted to buy it.
"However, the offers were to use the gun in a fashion I did not feel comfortable with," he wrote.
Neither Zimmerman nor his attorney have commented about reactions to the pistol being put up for auction, a move heavily criticized on social media.
Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Martin's parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, said Thursday that "it's just shocking" the weapon was going to be sold.
"Somebody's actually talking about profiting from the loss of their child and it's just very hurtful to them," he told NBC News.
Zimmerman filed a defamation lawsuit against NBC News in 2012. A judge dismissed that claim in 2014. Zimmerman appealed, but a judge ruled against him.