The teenager who is suspected of killing an American woman and wounding five other people in a knife attack in central London has been charged with murder, police said Friday.
Zakaria Bulham, 18, has been charged with one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder in connection with the Wednesday rampage, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.
Bulham was arrested after armed police responding to the attack in Russell Square brought him down with a Taser.
Investigators who questioned Bulham and his family and searched an address in north London said early indications were that mental health was a "significant factor" in the attack. Police said no evidence had been found to suggest that the suspect was motivated by terrorism.
Frode Andersen, spokesman for Norway’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told NBC News that the suspect is a Norwegian national man of Somali ancestry who moved to Britain in 2002 when he was 4 or 5 years old. Police originally said he was 19 years old.
Darlene Horton, from Florida, died at the scene. Another American citizen was among the injured — along with Australian, Israeli and British nationals, police have said. She was in London with her husband, a professor teaching abroad during the summer. The couple was set to return to Florida on Thursday.
Bulham is due in court on Saturday.