Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos…Welcome to Halloween 2016, or as we here at The Lid like to call it, a reminder that exactly 21 days ago, Ken Bone became a thing.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
‘16 from 30,000
We’re bringing you this special edition of The Lid a little early because there are some spooky-costumed kids out there who desperately need some Almond Joys, and who are we to stand in their way? But we’ve also got BRAND NEW numbers to share from our NBC News|SurveyMonkey tracking poll! After a dramatic weekend of fallout from Friday’s revelation by FBI director James Comey that more emails that are potentially relevant to the Clinton investigation have been found...not much has changed (at least not yet.) Clinton’s six-point national lead (47 percent to 41 percent) over Trump didn’t budge in the new poll, even among respondents polled over the weekend after the Comey news had broken. It’s worth noting that likely voters are split on whether the news is an important issue to discuss (55 percent) or just a distraction (44 percent.) But the partisan divide is largely baked into those numbers, with 83 percent of Democrats calling the Comey revelation a distraction and 93 percent of Republicans saying it’s an important issue. It’s not great news for Clinton that a majority - 68 percent - of independents think the issue is important rather than just a distraction, but Brooklyn is surely giving a sigh of relief every time a tracking poll shows that the race - at least right now - hasn’t been fundamentally changed.
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- Clinton's 6-point national lead over Donald Trump remains virtually unchanged since last week, according to the NBC News|SurveyMonkey Weekly Election Tracking Poll.
- Out of the 650,000 emails found on Anthony Weiner's laptop, only a small number will likely be related to that case, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation into emails related to the probe of Clinton's private server told NBC News on Monday.
- Clinton again addressed the FBI's finding of new emails related to their investigation of her use of a private server while she served as Secretary of State.
- Zach Roth is tracking voting issues throughout the country.
- NBC’s Benjy Sarlin explores Donald Trump’s world view and why it matters.
- Former Attorney General Eric Holder has written a scathing op-ed condemning FBI Director James Comey for his handling of the investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server.
- Mike Murphy talks the future of the GOP in the MTP Postgame.
- Your Halloween read: Purportedly hacked Podesta emails reveal his fascination with UFOs.
- And from First Read: After bombshell, does the remarkably stable '16 race stay stable?
FOR THE RECORD…
“We never thought we were going to say 'thank you' to Anthony Weiner."
-- Donald Trump on Sunday.
Donald Trump delivers a policy speech in Pennsylvania, followed by a rally w/ Mike Pence in Wisconsin.
Pence also begins the day in Pennsylvania.
Hillary Clinton is in Florida, while Tim Kaine is in Wisconsin.
Bernie Sanders campaigns for Clinton in New Hampshire and Maine.
Barack Obama campaigns for Hillary Clinton in Ohio.
Joe Biden is in North and South Carolina.