Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos… Donald Trump revealed additional medical information during a taping of The Dr. Oz Show on Wednesday. Reporters are hoping the information will be made public soon, unless, of course, Dr. Oz decides to audit them.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
'16 from 30,000
Both candidates gave updated information about their health on Wednesday. But what probably won't surprise you by this point in the campaign is that they did it very different ways. Despite his campaign saying it wouldn't happen, Trump went over his recent physical exam during a taped interview with TV's Dr. Oz. Audience members who attended the taping said Trump received a clean bill of health, though Oz apparently said he is slightly overweight. (The examination the two chatted about was conducted by Dr. Harold Bornstein, who last year wrote a letter stating Trump would be "the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.")
The Clinton camp then released a letter from her doctor that revealed she was diagnosed with mild, non-contagious bacterial pneumonia last Friday. It was also revealed she was evaluated on Sept. 2 for a fever, congestion and fatigue. Clinton Dr. Lisa Bardack made clear, however, that she "continues to remain healthy and fit to serve as president of the United States." So far Clinton is winning the health transparency game by a wide margin by having released two letters from her doctor. But neither candidate is setting a high bar for health disclosures in future races and it's a far from the more than 1,000 pages John McCain released during his 2008 run.
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- Hillary Clinton's campaign released additional details about her health and recent bout with pneumonia on Wednesday.
- Though his campaign said it wouldn't happen, Donald Trump released some new health information during a taping of Dr. Oz on Wednesday.
- Colin Powell called Trump a "national disgrace" in emails leaked by hackers.
- Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are lobbing stones at each other over whose glass house is more opaque, NBC's Benjy Sarlin and Alex Seitz-Wald report.
- Gary Johnson is on the ballot in all 50 states.
- And from First Read: It's getting harder and harder for Trump to avoid releasing his tax returns.
FOR THE RECORD…
"I invited you here to thank us...not give a political speech."
- Pastor at Bethel United Methodist Church in Flint, Michigan to Donald Trump.
Hillary Clinton is scheduled to address the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Dinner in Washington, D.C.
Tim Kaine is in New Hampshire.
Donald Trump's Dr. Oz appearance will air. He also will address the Economic Club in New York and a rally in New Hampshire.