Often-caustic former Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais has passed the awards show hosting baton to funny ladies Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, who will return as hosts this Sunday for the 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards on NBC.
When Gervais was at the helm, no actor seemed safe from his barbs, but can the stars in attendance really feel that secure with Fey and Poehler at the podium? The duo didn’t go entirely easy on the Hollywood elite last year and they may not again this year.
See if you can guess which zingers from past Golden Globe monologues were delivered by Gervais or the team of Fey and Poehler! (Find the answers at the bottom).
Tina Fey, left, and Amy Poehler during the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 13, 2013.
1. “Only at ‘The Golden Globes’ do the beautiful people of film rub shoulders with the rat-faced people of television!”
2. “For any of you who don’t know, the Golden Globes are just like the Oscars — but without all that esteem.”
3. “I haven’t really been following the controversy of ‘Zero Dark Thirty,’ but when it comes to torture I trust the lady (director Kathryn Bigelow) who spent three years married to James Cameron.”
4. “Ben (Affleck’s) first two movies took place in Boston, but he moved (‘Argo’) to Iran because he wanted to film somewhere that was friendlier to outsiders.”
5. “It’s going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking, or as Charlie Sheen calls it — ‘breakfast.’”
6. “The Golden Globes are to the Oscars are what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton, basically, — a bit louder, a bit trashier, a bit drunker, and more easily bought.”
7. “Jennifer Lawrence is here, the star of ‘Silver Linings Playbook.’ Quentin Tarantino is here, the star of all my sexual nightmares.”
Host Ricky Gervais onstage at the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 15, 2012.
8. “Anne Hathaway, you gave a stunning performance in ‘Les Miserables.’ I have not seen someone so totally alone and abandoned like that since you were on stage with James Franco at the Oscars.”
9. “Looking at all the faces here, reminds me of some of the great work that’s been done this year — by cosmetic surgeons.”
10. “Tonight, we honor the television shows that have entertained us all year — as well as the films that have only been in theaters for two days.”
11. “Meryl Streep is not here tonight. She has the flu — and I hear she’s amazing in it.”
12. “Please welcome Ashton Kutcher’s dad — Bruce Willis!”
13. “Last year, our next presenter won both the Golden Globe and the Oscar ... this year, she took some time out to have a baby ... consequently, she’s been nominated for nothing ... she’s learned that valuable lesson ... never put family first. Please welcome the very foolish Natalie Portman.”
14. “I’ve seen (our next presenter) punch a little, blind kitten. Please welcome the evil Colin Firth.”
— Ricky Gervais said the zingers at 2, 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, and 14.
— Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler delivered the barbs numbered 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, and 11.
The Golden Globes air Sunday at 8 p.m. ET on NBC. Tune in Monday for a special split edition of TODAY, featuring interviews with Globes winners, and an exclusive look at the big night, live from Los Angeles and New York.
First published January 11 2014, 4:00 AM