Feedback
News
Istanbul Ataturk Airport Attack

Istanbul Airport Attack Death Toll Rises to 45, Dozens Still Hospitalized

ISTANBUL — The death toll from the suicide bombings at Turkey's largest airport Tuesday has risen to 45 after a 4-year-old Jordanian boy died of his injuries, Turkish media reported.

Related: Turkey Arrests More Suspects in Istanbul Airport Attack

Officials had said earlier Saturday that 52 people were still being treated in the hospital. The Istanbul Governor's office says that 184 airport victims have been discharged from hospitals so far, including 13 people released on Saturday. It said 20 people were still in intensive care.

Istanbul attack: 11 more detained; still no responsibility claim 0:31

Three militants armed with assault rifles and suicide bombs attacked Istanbul's Ataturk, one of the world's busiest airports, at a parking lot and security check point in a flurry of gunfire that sent travelers racing for the exits.

Turkish authorities have detained at least 24 people in raids in several Istanbul neighborhoods over possible connections to the attack.

Investigators' attentions have reportedly focused on whether a Chechen extremist known to be a top lieutenant in ISIS masterminded the attack.

Related: Chechen Akhmed Chatayev Is Called Suspected Planner of Istanbul Attack

U.S. intelligence officials, however, have not confirmed that Akhmed Chatayev was involved, but they did not dispute reports that referred to him as planning the coordinated carnage.

While there has been no official claim of responsibility for the suicide bombings, officials have said it bears the hallmarks of ISIS.