BEIJING -- Family members awaiting news of the fate of Flight 370 reacted with anguish after Australia announced that objects had been spotted that could be linked to the missing jet.
"I don't want to hear from anyone other than my family," one distraught Chinese relative said after hearing the news.
Earlier, an Australian satellite spotted two objects in the southern Indian Ocean that could be related to the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight.
Wen Wancheng, who is waiting for news of his son, said he didn't believe news of debris, according to The Star newspaper.
"My son is still alive. My son is still alive," cried the 63-year-old from Shandong province in the Lido Hotel, the main crisis center for the emergency in the Chinese capital.
More than half of the 239 people on the missing flight are from China, where there has been mounting anger and frustration with the Malaysian government's handing of the case.
First published March 20 2014, 12:51 AM