Some relatives of passengers who were on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 said Tuesday that they are waiting for more conclusive analysis before they accept that debris found on an island in the Indian Ocean came from the missing jet.
“We want the world to know that we are not living in denial,” said a statement from a group of families calling itself The Cry for Truth. “However, we are not prepared to give up on our loved ones unless and until there is 100% certainty.”
The Malaysian prime minister said last week that a wing flap discovered on the French island of Reunion, off the southern tip of Africa, came from Flight 370. French investigators were more cautious and said further analysis was needed.
Families of the passengers have been sharply critical of the Malaysian government for releasing misleading information during the 17-month investigation into the plane’s disappearance. Last week in Beijing, distraught relatives scuffled with police and wailed outside the Malaysian Embassy.
The Cry for Truth group asked that all debris be analyzed “at a reputable place with the appropriate expertise and equipment.” They suggested Australia, which is leading the ocean search for the plane, or France.
Flight 370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board, on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.