With the first funeral getting under way this weekend for passengers aboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, the airline said Saturday that it had started talking to the families to discuss compensation.
It has been almost two months since the jet, with 239 people on board, disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.
The airline said it was closing assistance centers it set up for the families in Beijing and Kuala Lumpur and urged them to return home to wait for further news.
Ng Han Guan / AP file
Relatives of Chinese passengers on board the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 prayed at a hotel conference room last month in Beijing.
In a statement Saturday, the airline said representatives from its Family Support Center were already in touch with the families to work advance financial assistance, which it said wouldn't affect their rights to seek legal compensation in the courts. The airline said it would provide no further details "out of respect to the grieving families."
The news comes as friends and relatives of Rod and Mary Burrows — two of six Australians on the flight — prepared for a formal memorial Sunday in Brisbane, according to a statement local police released on their behalf.
It will be the first funeral for any of the passengers and crew on Flight MH370.
First published May 2 2014, 9:13 PM
M. Alex Johnson
M. Alex Johnson is a senior writer for NBC News covering general news, with an emphasis on explanatory journalism and data analysis. Johnson joined NBCNews.com in January 2000 from The Washington Post, where he was news editor of washingtonpost.com and night city editor of the print edition. He has also worked at the Knight-Ridder Washington bureau, Congressional Quarterly and The Charlotte Observer, where he was part of a team that won the 1987 Pulitzer Gold Medal for Public Service. He is a member of the National Press Club, Investigative Reporters and Editors and the Online News Association.
... Expand Bio