International monitors trying to investigate the MH17 crash site plan to head back to the scene in Ukraine Saturday morning, despite being turned away by gunmen the day before. A group from the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) will try for a second time to scour fields where the bulk of debris and human remains are lying, the rights and security watchdog said. There was nothing to indicate the team's access would be restricted a second time by the separatist fighters, OSCE spokesman Michael Bociurkiv told NBC News.
On Friday, gunmen blocked the monitors from examining the site in rebel-held eastern Ukraine, which has been the location of intense fighting between pro-Russian separatists and the Ukrainian military. Some of the armed rebels appeared to be drunk and acted in an "impolite and unprofessional" manner, Bociurkiv said. Warning shots were also fired by the rebel unit commander, the OSCE said. Bociurkiv said there was no evidence that rebels removed some of the bodies from the scene, as had been reported Friday.
- Rebekah Smyth and Christina Boyle
First published July 19 2014, 2:09 AM