Feedback
Tech

Samsung Has a Plan to Get Back the Remaining 285K Note 7 Phones

Despite Samsung's second Galaxy Note 7 recall last month, approximately 285,000 of the fire-starting phones have yet to be returned.

In an effort to track down the remaining devices — which have already been deemed a safety hazard over fire risks and banned from airplanes — Samsung has a few tech tricks it's ready to try.

A Samsung representative told NBC News the company plans to release a software update in the next few days that will limit the Note 7's ability to charge beyond 60 percent. It will also issue reminders every time the phone is charged, turned on or rebooted.

OCT. 13: Samsung Battery Recall Draws More Attention to Smartphone Fires 1:58

"As of today, nearly 85 percent of all recalled Galaxy Note7 devices have been replaced through the U.S. Note7 Refund and Exchange Program," the company said in a statement.

Related: First U.S. Suit Filed Over Exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Smartphones

The CPSC recall covers 1.9 million phones in the United States. Going by Samsung's return rate, that would mean approximately 1,615,000 Note 7 phones have been returned.

Samsung made the unprecedented decision last month to stop production of the Galaxy Note 7 and issue a second recall after some customers reported their replacement devices were still catching fire.

Related: Smartphone Wars: Google, Motorola, and Apple Are Circling Over Samsung

While it's been a tough few months for Samsung, there is one bright spot for the company. The majority of those who have turned in their Note 7 phones have opted for another smartphone in the Samsung family, the representative said.