Apple patents anti-sexting technology
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM ET
United States Patent 7814163, for "Text-based communication control for personal communication device"
Fortune writer Darrell Etherington
- A message will be blocked (incoming or outgoing) if the message includes forbidden content.
- Objectionable content can be removed from the message prior to transmission or as part of the receiving process.
- The content of such a message is controlled by filtering the message based on defined criteria.
- The criteria may be defined according to a parental control application.
- These techniques also may be used...to require the administered devices to include certain text in messages.
Now I’m not against parents protecting their kids from potentially dangerous situations. That makes sense. But putting this degree of control over something as basic as what you can say with a direct communication device frightens me.TechCrunch's Alexia Tsotsis