Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM ET
Valentine's Day is coming up soon and cliché gift ideas are in the air. Or at least that's the pattern we're seeing in some recent Google search statistics. Based on those numbers, your odds of receiving chocolate appear to be great.
The statistics below were provided to us by Google and they show some of the Valentine's Day related search queries which have been entered more frequently than usual recently.
- Searches for ‘chocolate strawberries’ are up by 120%
- Searches for ‘chocolate covered strawberries’ are up by 90%
- Searches for ‘chocolate ganache’ are up by 60%
- Searches for ‘chocolate fondue’ are up by 50%
- Searches for ‘chocolate truffles’ are up by 50%
- Searches for ‘chocolate hearts’ are up by 65%
- Searches for ‘heart shaped cookies’ are up by 64%
- Searches for ‘valentines day dessert’ are up by 35%
- Searches for ‘cookie bouquets’ are up by 66%
Those numbers translate into a lot of people searching for chocolate, but it gets better!
It turns out that folks may have been planning ahead for this Valentine's Day as a peek at the last 30 days of search activity shows dramatic increases in sweet searches:
- Searches for ‘valentines chocolate’ are up by 1,450%
- Searches for ‘valentines day chocolate’ are up by 1,400%
- Searches for ‘chocolate delivery’ are up by 100%
- Searches for ‘chocolate covered oreos’ are up by 41%
- Searches for ‘heart shaped chocolate’ are up by 76%
Of course, it's worth noting that chocolate wasn't the only thing people have been searching for when it comes to romantic gifts and Valentine's Day ideas. After all, even searches "for ‘red lipstick’ have risen by 24% in the past 7 days."