Dec. 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM ET
A Texas man says his new Motorola Droid 2 cell phone exploded in his ear while he was on the phone, resulting in a trip to the emergency room and stitches in his left ear. However, he says the phone, which was purchased two days before the incident, is still working.
Aron Embry of Cedar Hill, Texas told Fox 4 News of Dallas-Fort Worth that he was on the phone at the time. He explained:
I heard a pop. I didn't feel any pain initially. I pulled the phone down. I felt something dripping. I realized that it was probably blood. I went into the house and as I got into the bathroom and once I got to the mirror and saw it, it was only then I kinda looked at my phone and noticed the screen had appeared to burst outward.
Embry told Fox 4 he doesn’t have health insurance, and hopes to get reimbursement from Motorola.
There are two elements that seem at odds. The phone allegedly "exploded," and yet it still works. Embry's wife told reporters that it had been ringing through the day, after the "blow up." Portable electronics are occasionally known to explode, but it's generally tied to a massive fault in the battery, which is rendered useless as a result.
When Fox 4 showed their footage to a phone repair expert, his assessment was that the damage was "user caused."
Motorola told msnbc.com that it has "no reason to believe the phone ‘exploded’ as it is still operational and intact. We believe this is an isolated incident and are not aware of any similar issues." Nevertheless, the company says it has contacted Embry and "will investigate this thoroughly."