Most common -- and most crazy -- possible Web domains
June 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM ET
The international group that handles "top level" domains like .com, .xxx and .jp just finished taking applications from anyone with $185,000 to burn. We've combed the list to see what we can learn about the Worldwide Web in which we live.
Domains with the most potential:
Domains with the least potential:
- .rocks and .sucks
- .mom and .dad
- .beer and .wine (also .vodka!)
- .kosher and .halal
- .rugby and .cricket (each more desired than .football)
Domains that support a certain lifestyle:
… and those for the other side of the socio-economic spectrum:
- Applications for .casino outnumber applications for .charity
- There's .irish and .catholic, but apparently nobody has yet applied for .irishcatholic
- Someone requested .dotafrica, maybe because someone else laid claim to .africa
- TJ Maxx applied for .tjmaxx and, in case you can't type so good, .tkmaxx [UPDATE: While I still think that .tkmaxx would be good for poor typists, my new Twitter friend @chiptherealdeal tells me that in England, the TJ Maxxes are called TK Maxx. To which I replied, "I'll be darned!"]
These domains each have six or more applications:
The deadline for the new domain names closed on May 30, 2012, but expect at least a year or two before we see the approval and use of any of these new suffixes.
Wilson Rothman is the Technology & Science section editor at msnbc.com. Catch up with him on Twitter at @wjrothman, and join our conversation on Facebook.