Dateline   |  January 31, 2014

'Mystery on Lockhart Road' part 6

David Camm's defense punches a hole in the prosecution's revised timeline.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>> narrator: the trial of david camm was under way in floyd county , indiana. it was the winter of 2002 .

>> nervous?

>> narrator: david camm , accused of murdering his wife and two young children always insisted the case against him was built on quick sand .

>> it's about them crafting and molding a belief that was totally founded on things that weren't factual and it was just a complete fiction.

>> narrator: david 's defense attorney mike mcdaniel has known david as a trooper.

>> what impressions did you have of david before he became the client?

>> i figured he was another red neck state cop. we had done a couple of cases, him on one side, me on the other.

>> narrator: but mcdaniel became convinced of david 's innocence and came on board to defend him.

>> this is one of the most terrible cases that a defense lawyer never wants. you don't want an innocent client. you call them a ravager because they make you crazy.

>> before the trial, daniel knew he had to confront all these women.

>> the jury's getting a picture of this hard working wife, nose to the grindstone, taking care of the babies and running the household.

>> yep.

>> while he's out with pole dancers?

>> he has women coming in with varying degreeses of sexual contact or innuendinnuendo.

>> he put david on the stand to stay he knew he messed up.

>> i regret all that stuff. it's so unfortunate the disrespect that i showed my wife. but good god, we don't jump to that to saying that automatically makes a person a murder, it's just ridiculous.

>> narrator: then the defense had to confront the ugly allegation that 5-year-old jill camm had been molested. but in fact the medical examiner's report had not exact said that. it simply stated that the perus bruises were the result of blunt trauma.

>> there may be some evidence here of child molestation . this is a very, very tough thing to combat.

>> it's literally impossible.

>> the defense turned to the physical evidence . the states's strongest evidence, the forensic case for david 's guilt was the blood spatter . the defense expert testified the blood got on david 's t-shirt very simply, when david reached into the back seat to move his son, his shirt brushed against his daughter's hair.

>> there was some blood on some of her hair around the wound. so defense testimony was that was transfer. from that contact with the ends of the strands of her hair.

>> narrator: and then the timeline. the defense lawyer challenged the prosecution's theory that david snuck out in the middle of his basketball game, killed his family and then returned to play ball . the defense attorney focused on the phone call made from the camm house at 7:19 p.m . when david said he was at the church gym. the state had tethered its timeline to that phone call .

>> that was their smoking gun , which they had a bunch of those and every time they would have a smoking gun , we would just unload it.

>> narrator: the defense unloaded by calling an expert from verizon, saying the timeline was incorrect, because of indiana's jumbled time zones .

>> their 7:19 phone call was actually a 6:19 phone call .

>> narrator: a call that david made to a client before he left to play basketball. plus there was a solid alibi. the basketball players, the corroborate that he had been to the gym throughout that evening.

>> did he leave the court that night?

>> no, he couldn't have left without one of you guys --

>> i would see him at one point in time running down the court. and then maybe just would have saw him at another point in time. so throughout that time, there's ten sets of eyes looking in ten different directions, as a group, i think someone would have noticed that he was missing.

>> narrator: sam lockhart the uncle was playing basketball that night too?

>> is it possible that david would have snuck out?

>> is it possible that he could have snuck out, killed his family and snuck back in? absolutely not.

>> narrator: if david wasn't the killer, who was? the prosecution had its answer, it was the one that owned that sweatshirt, the one lying on the garage floor. the defense attorney mike mcdaniel had recognized the sweatshirt as prison issue.

>> in the collar of the sweatshirt is the word backbone, and i'm thinking, that's a nickname.

>> narrator: tests on that sweatshirt revealed dna from various persons, including an unknown male. but there was no match when it was run through the database. there was proof that someone else was in the garage that night.

>> we knew that there was probably the key to solving this. we didn't know that person by name, by god we knew him by dn a a profile.

>> narrator: finally it was up to the jurors. as reporters lingered in the hallway, the jury deliberated for three days.

>> guilty.

>> narrator: david camm was found guilty of killing his wife and children.

>> the jury comes back and guilty as charged .

>> that's what we wanted and now we feel like kim, brad and jill can be at rest now.

>> but his sister, an emotional outburst.

>> before i even knew it, i was standing up and i was screaming, you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong. and a few people had to take me out of the courtroom.

>> and you're being walked off in chains? you're not leaving that courthouse?

>> no. and knowing what lies ahead of me. going to prison, a former police officer . there a's absolutely nothing i can do about it.

>> narrator: david camm was sent to the state penitentiary to serve a terms of 195 years. but his uncle sam was hanging in.

>> you didn't think you were finished at that point?

>> unless they would have killed me, that's how they could have stopped me. no, it wasn't over.

>> narrator: it wasn't over not by a long shot. but not even uncle sam could predict the stunning turn that would