Dylan Ratigan Show   |  June 22, 2012

An exit interview with Dylan Ratigan

The Nation’s Ari Melber leads the send-off to MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan as they discuss the lessons Ratigan learned from anchoring The Dylan Ratigan Show.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> we are back now on the final dr show. today, i have the exclusive exit interview with the man who has been at the helm here for three years, two road tours, 27 cities an a "new york times" best-selling book, mr. dylan ratigan . thank you for being here for your exit interview .

>> thank you for coming in to conduct said interview.

>> happy to do it and it's an exciting, but bittersweet time.

>> whose behalf would you say you're here? phil griffin 's behalf? audience?

>> i'll go with the audience and i am going to conduct the interview, although i know that is your nature. the first question is what have you learned here in your time now at bloomberg and msnbc, cnbc and writing a book?

>> for me, the greatest misconception that i had coming into this job was arguing about rules and resources and about what we didn't have was of value. and three years later and the realization that we do know what to do, we don't all know, but there are individuals doing what we need to do with food, health, education, et cetera , we're just not doing it and no political party e wants to talk about it. i thought we didn't know what to do three years ago, so the biggest thing that i've learned is that we do know what to do, or at least individuals do, we're just not doing it because it's not how we've done it and the real question is why. why are we not doing it? and people say, oh, it's because of the rules. well, the rules really don't prevent us from using sustainable hydroponic agriculture, fighting crime, it's our culture and i think the greatest lesson for me was that it is the culture of how we choose to relate to each other that actually is the most influn influential component. best example, russian revolution , 1918 . kill everybody, blood in the streets. culture before the revolution was the rich people worked with the government to screw everybody over and then had a revolution to get rid of that. and it's like the economists, occupation took over and the culture afterwards was for the rich people to work, government to screw everybody over. when there's a tremendous amount of evidence that cultures that actually have a mission culture as opposed to a dominant seeking culture, that want to work with each other, are getting just stunning results. looking at the people that are here.

>> so, did you learn -- did you learn these ideas from people you found through your media jobs?

>> through the guests on this show. through prosecuting my own egointo this and my own wrote a book and all these things, these are really some of the big teachers here. deepak, david, liz, who really is leading the way and showing the greatest generation . joe sestak , john hennesee -- not a yahoo. so it's interesting that you get to know those people.

>> and what do you think makes people pay attention ? you talk about your time basically in the center of the financial crisis . everyone was watching cnbc, but you had a different reaction to that. what was that?

>> in terms of how i covered the financial crisis ?

>> and what it made you want to do?

>> because i had a background at bloomberg and corporate finance , i had the liability of having an intimate understanding of the gears and machines of the financial system and as a result, it was immediately apparent to me and to those who i was talking to how massive the theft this is being perpetrated and still is to this day. and believed that arguing about that would have some value, which i think perhaps in retrospect, it did.

>> was it nieve?

>> tremendously so. immensely nieve. immensely nieve. however, what i don't think is nieve is the awareness that people do as others do. they don't do as others say. and so, as we watched like the faces we were putting up, just a second ago and what they do, and if we pay more attention to what they're doing and how they're doing it, that it will change what we do. and those changes will give us the opportunity to abandon the old paradigm of tax and cut and get closer and closer to a paradigm that is distributed power , but the debate is who decides and the availability of sustainable food and energy along with adaptive earning is going to increase. because of things being increasingly skcrewed up, so it's hard to reck nile and see it as an optimistic thing.

>> so, in the time you have been here with a big platform, i want to ask about your breakthroughs. later, we'll do a second segment and talk about the future. when did you feel like you were breaking through with any of this?

>> breaking, what do you mean?

>> you write this book, it's got the same sort of language that sometimes you use on the show and it's atop the best seller list for five weeks. was that a breakthrough for you or not enough?

>> i would say that i have yet to feel like i've broken through.

>> why?

>> because the apparent culture and system is one of directive extractive, predatory, dualistic lying scum bags and we have all these other people that are completely the opposite of that, this collective collaboration and right now, the power model at the top of our media, banks, politicians, models this sort of putrid, dominance seeking culture and ultimately, that's what we need to repair and what we're seeing repaired away from new york and washington in all the places that we've been able to visit and my goal is to obviously learn more about all that.

>> so part of what you're saying is that the consumption of your media, your message, is not for you, success. it's actually changing something through the message.

>> i feel like the reason to go to work is to try to help. and helping, i interpreted helping myself as trying to explain complicated things. to large groups of people so they better understood how they were being lied to by the government and media. with the the banking system . and i don't want to diminish the value of informed awareness, but i think that the awareness has significantly increased over the past few years.

>> let's jump to what we do about the awareness, if anything. in our next segment, which will be about a future instead of the past, which i feel is more you any way. we will have more of this exit interview , the last dylan ratigan interview, in a moment. telephone