Nightly News   |  February 23, 2014

Restaurant’s Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills 1, Sickens Others

A faulty water heating pipe is the source of a deadly carbon monoxide leak in a Long Island, N.Y. Legal Sea Foods restaurant.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> it has no odor. it can't be seen. it can be deadly. we're talking about a danger of carbon monoxide gas, which leaked out of a restaurant heating system last night on new york 's long island, killing one man and injuring dozens of others. more on that story tonight from nbc's kristen dahlgren.

>> reporter: saturday night the start of the dinner rush at a new york mall.

>> they started telling everybody to get out.

>> reporter: one of 28 first responders seafood employees overcome by carbon monoxide .

>> they said there's a high co content in the building and you have to get out. by that time, we were all really, in retrospect, already starting to feel the effects.

>> reporter: the restaurant's 55-year-old manager succumbed to the gas and died at the hospital. customers got out unharmed, leaving their meals unfinished. today the restaurant is condemned, the leak traced back to a faulty pipe in the water filtration system. legal seafoods expressed condolences, vowing to conduct safety checks in all of its restaurants calling for stronger safety codes everywhere. you have to get a lot of calls today.

>> we do. this firehouse alone got two or three calls for carbon monoxide .

>> an average 439 people die of carbon monoxide in the u.s. every year. just today, emergency crews responded to a hotel in maine. ten people were reportedly overcome by carbon monoxide .

>> we believe it is a problem, the only thing in the building that's creating carbon monoxide . we're investigating at the time.

>> reporter: a baltimore hotel , a dozen people evacuated and in charlotte, north carolina , people were sickened at a church. what do people need to do?

>> have a carbon monoxide monitor.

>> and know the symptoms, headache, dizziness, fatigue, confusion that can quickly turn to loss of consciousness. kristen dahlgren, nbc news, new york .