Thomas Roberts   |  July 18, 2013

Rolling Stone cover sparks heated debate

The newest issue of Rolling Stone sparked a heated debate on social media after the magazine unveiled its cover, featuring accused Boston marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Critics asked, why not feature one of the survivors? Peter Brown saw two nephews lose a leg in the bombing. He joins MSNBC’s Richard Lui to discuss.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> the list of stores deciding not to carry the august issue of " rolling stone " is growing. the magazine sparked a firestorm over social media after it unveiled this cover this week with accused boston marathon bomber joe c ee eer bomber.

>> i'm in disgrace. probably should have survivors and first responders.

>> i understand the substance of the article is not objectionable. it is apparently pretty good reporting but the cover is out of taste.

>> joining me now live, peter brown . his nephew j.p. and paul are survivors of the bombing. the brothers have each lost a leg and have undergone multiple surgeries. thanks for being with us. what did you think when you first saw this cover of "the rolling stone "?

>> when i first saw it, i was surprised and then i was actually disgusted. lastly, angry. the reason for that is because the picture kind of promotes a celebrity status which is not the case here.

>> are you glad then the chains are pulling it from the newsstands given they've had had other controversial covers in the past, like charles manson even?

>> i think the reports on charles manson , this really doesn't compare in some way, i think charles manson may have had some sort of music background. my belief of this magazine, "the rolling stone ," has something to do with music and i don't believe this young man has anything to do with music. i don't see the connection there. as far as businesses like cvs and cumberland farms and roach brothers pulling it, i applaud them for their effort.

>> " rolling stone " did address the issue in a statement yesterday, saying, in part, "the fact that dzhokhar tsarnaev is young and in the same age group as many of our readers makes it all the more are important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. what do you say to their response saying that their readers are pretty much the same age and therefore they need to express this story as intimately as they can?

>> well, i think that you you hit the nail on the head as far as the readers being of the age. i think that's what their intention was. i believe the magazine's intention was to play on those readers the young age, maybe two influence and coerce or encourage more support. i don't believe there's any connection in terms of the magazine's article and what they actually cover but the young age reader that does read that magazine may find that of some interest. i certainly don't.

>> speaking of a young age here, peter, i want to ask you how j.p. and paul are doing right now, from what you know?

>> both are doing well. they've maintained incredibly focused attitude. they're upbeat, they're positive. they're really concentrating on healing which is what our family wants them to do. so as far as this stuff goes, they don't put much time into this at all.

>> our best to the two of them as well. peter brown , thank you so much for your time today.

>> you're welcome.

>>> that wraps up things for