If deep cleaning is an item that never seems to get checked off your weekend to-do list, now's the perfect time to tackle a few of those niggling tasks. This guide assumes you've got a regular cleaning system in the works — whether it's a weekend marathon cleaning session (guilty) or a regular weekday routine — so instead we've focused on four to eight things in each room you're probably not doing on a weekly or monthly basis — or you're just overlooking all together (just look up at that dingy ceiling fan).
We've found a few better ways to make deep(ish) cleaning even easier — in many cases, using supplies you already have in your pantry or dresser drawer (think: baking soda and vinegar and an old pair of socks). To get started, just click on the circles on the graphic of each room to see the item and then click over to the story to see how it's done.
Target soap scum, limescale on your shower head, a dirty toothbrush holder and more.
Have an indispensable cleaning hack? Send us a message and let us know.
MORE CLEANING TIPS
- BETTER's How to clean everything guide
- How often you should clean your home, according to science
- The best cleaning products, according to the pros
- Why the 20/10 method can change the way you clean
- How often to replace everything in your bathroom, bedroom and kitchen
Graphics by Robin Muccari for NBC News