Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
/ Source: Reuters

DETROIT — General Motors is moving to learn more internally about its handling of the recall of ignition switches linked to 13 deaths, including questioning employees involved in the process from the start, according to two people familiar with the situation.

A team of attorneys investigating the No. 1 U.S. automaker's recall of more than 1.6 million vehicles were interviewing employees Wednesday, trying to learn exactly how the company handled the issue when it was first discovered in 2004, said the people, who asked not to be identified.

GM spokesman Greg Martin did not reveal details of the company's internal probe but pointed to Chief Executive Mary Barra's letter to employees Tuesday, in which she said the company would take an "unvarnished" look at how the process was handled.

Also Tuesday, GM said it received a 27-page list of 107 questions from safety regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the company's handling of the recall. NHTSA opened a probe last week into whether GM reacted swiftly enough in its recall. The request directs the Detroit company to respond by April 3.

In its "special order," NHTSA asked for details on the recall, including the names of all GM employees involved in the process from the start. The document was posted online Wednesday.

The safety agency also asked for details of the problem with the ignition switch, any related warranty data, and any lawsuits filed in connection with the issue, including copies of depositions given by company employees.

GM's recall was to correct a condition that may allow the engine and other components, including front airbags, to be unintentionally turned off.

-Reuters