Breaking News Emails
As if being nominated for the film industry's biggest prize wasn't enough, Academy Award nominees in five categories will receive the annual "Oscar swag bag" — a goodie-bag worth upward of $220,000.
Los Angeles-based Distinctive Assets puts together the bags independent of the Oscars. The bags are known for pricey items like last year's $20,000 worth of "mind control lessons." Nominees for best actor and actress, best supporting actor and actress and best director will receive them Feb. 28.
"To be part of the film industry's biggest night on any level is thrilling," Lash Fary, Distinctive Assets' founder, said in a statement. "We always look forward to introducing standout entertainers to an array of companies with fabulous gifts to share."
The Academy, however, was not too keen about Distinctive Assets' swag bag. The organization filed a lawsuit against Fary on Tuesday, citing trademark infringement and perpetuating a connection between the company and the Oscars, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Breaking News Emails
"Distinctive Assets' continued use of the Academy's trademarks not only infringes the Academy's trademarks, but it is also likely to dilute the distinctiveness of the Academy's famous trademarks and tarnish their goodwill," the lawsuit states. "Press about the 2016 gift bags has focused on both the less-than-wholesome nature of some of the products contained in the bags ... and the unseemliness of giving such high value gifts, including trips costing tens of thousands of dollars, to an elite group of celebrities."
The swag in this year's bag has a value more than 30 percent higher last year's $160,000 bag.
Among the expensive and obscure gifts are a $1,900 Vampire breast lift treatment, which uses a woman's own blood to improve skin appearance and softness.
Nominees will also receive Haze Dual V3 Vaporizers ($250 each), personalized M&Ms ($300), a Steamist spa package ($5,060), more than $5,000 worth of treatments from 740 Park Plastic Surgery, and a lifetime supply of Lizora Pu-erh Tea Nourishing Cream and Pu-erh Tea Cleansing Bar, a value of $31,200.
Although not a complete list, the swag bag also contains:
- Nuelle Fiera "Arouser for Her" — $250
- Three fitness training sessions with Jay Cardiello — $1,400
- A complimentary three-day stay at the Golden Door resort and spa in San Marcos, California — $4,800
- Three complimentary nights at Grand Hotel Tremezzo near Lake Como in Italy — $5,000
- Three complimentary nights at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, Italy — $5,000
- A donation of 10,000 meals to an animal shelter or rescue of the nominee's choice — $6,300
- A year's worth of Audi A4 rentals from Silvercar — $45,000
- Private, full buyout of any Walk Japan tour for two for up to 15 days — $54,000
- VIP all-access trip to Israel — $55,000