Silent killer: Carbon monoxide poisoning in public housing
An NBC News investigation exposed a lack of basic safety protections for millions of American families living in properties overseen by the federal government.
At least 13 people have died from carbon monoxide in federally subsidized housing since 2003, according to an NBC News investigation.
An NBC News investigation reveals that two people died and more than 400 others were evacuated after a carbon monoxide leak in a South Carolina public housing complex in January. Federal inspectors aren’t required to check for carbon monoxide detectors, and critics say that’s costing lives.
NBC News’ Suzy Khimm discusses Ben Carson’s response to her investigation that found the Department of Housing and Urban Development does not require carbon monoxide detectors in public housing.