St. Louis police say 4 officers hit by gunfire amid violent protests

Four police officers were struck by gunfire in St. Louis amid violence that followed protests, police said early Tuesday. None of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening and all the officers were conscious, police said. They have been taken to area hospitals.

St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Commissioner John W. Hayden said at a news conference that the four officers were near a police line when they felt pain and realized they were injured. People had pelted officers with rocks and fireworks throughout the night, he said, and looted stores.

"I believe some coward randomly shot at the police line," Hayden said. Two officers were hit in the leg, one in the foot and one in the arm, Hayden said, adding that police have not made any arrests, and did not immediately know if there was a single shooter or more than one. 

Police in Vallejo, Calif., fatally shoot man kneeling outside a Walgreens

A 22-year-old man was in a half-kneeling position when an officer in a Bay Area city fatally shot him through a police vehicle's windshield, police said Wednesday.

Sean Monterrosa, 22, of San Francisco, was outside a Walgreens in Vallejo, California, shortly after midnight Tuesday when police responded to a report the store was being looted, police said.

Monterrosa began running toward a car, and then stopped, crouched down in a half-kneeling position facing officers, authorities said. He had in his sweatshirt pocket a hammer. Police said they thought it was a gun and that he was kneeling "in preparation to shoot."

Monterrosa reached for his waist area, police said, and an officer in a police vehicle shot him five times through the windshield, striking him once and killing him.

Read the full story here.

Portland uses 'riot control agents' on group that splintered off peaceful protest

Police in Portland, Oregon, declared an unlawful assembly and used "riot control agents" after a crowd threw bottles and other objects near a government building that was targetted last week.

Police Chief Jami Resch said that thousands protested peacefully Tuesday, but a smaller group of a several hundred split off and approached the fenced-off Multnomah County Justice Center.

"Attempts were made to tear down and breach the fencing. Projectiles including bottles, bats and mortars have been thrown at the police," she said in a video statement.

News helicopter footage from NBC affiliate KGW appeared to show smoke or tear gas being used and what a reporter from the station described as flash bangs.

A fire was set at the Multnomah County Justice Center after it was broken into in a night of violence late last week that the city's mayor described as a "full-on riot." 

More than 200 arrested in Houston

L.A. police use Jackie Robinson Stadium as 'field jail' without UCLA's consent

UCLA on Tuesday night said Los Angeles police used its Jackie Robinson Stadium, named for Major League Baseball's first African American player, to temporarily house people who had been detained.

"We’re troubled by accounts of Jackie Robinson stadium being used as a 'field jail,'" the university said on Twitter. "This was done without UCLA’s knowledge or permission. As lessee of the stadium, we informed local agencies that UCLA will NOT grant permission should there be a request like this in the future."

The Los Angeles Police Department acknowledged using the field in West L.A. for suspects arrested during the city's George Floyd protests. "We are no longer using it," Officer Mike Lopez said.

The field, home of the men's UCLA baseball team, is leased and occupies federal Veterans Affairs land. It's not clear what exactly the lease allows or disallows the city to do. The V.A. land is on an island of unincorporated Los Angeles County that is not in the city's jurisdiction.

NYC demonstrators on why they protest: We need to be heard

Tear gas quickly disperses crowd in Atlanta

ATLANTA — Hundreds of protesters lingered on the streets of downtown Atlanta on Tuesday night ahead of another 9 p.m. curfew imposed by Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

Authorities used armored vehicles to form a cordon at the state Capitol nearby.

Bottoms has implemented the curfew every night, starting Saturday.

As the curfew took effect, police and National Guard troops moved in, firing tear gas. The crowd quickly dispersed, and television footage showed police leading some people away in zip ties.

Police detain Hollywood protesters after curfew

Hours after a curfew took effect, police in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles began making arrests Tuesday night. The detainments followed a day of peaceful protests. 

Los Angeles is under a 6 p.m. curfew, and about 9 p.m., officers were seen taking people out of cars and detaining people near a protest group, according to news helicopter footage and an NBC News reporter at the scene.

Several dozen people appeared to have been detained. Multiple sources familiar with the arrests in progress Tuesday said most were for curfew violations.

Arrests were also seen in the Koreatown section of the city, according to NBC Los Angeles.

On Monday, the LAPD Hollywood Division broke its one-day record for arrests with a total of at least 585 arrests, according to department officials.

As of Tuesday morning, the LAPD had arrested more than 2,700 people, about 2,500 for failure to disperse or curfew violations across the city, police Chief Michel Moore said. The other arrests included burglary, looting, and assault on police, Moore said.

Oakland protesters defy curfew after peaceful demonstrations

Seattle mayor: 'We want you to march, we want you to raise your voices'

SEATTLE — Mayor Jenny Durkan addressed a large crowd protesting George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis, telling them their “voices holding me accountable are important.”

Tuesday was the fifth day of protests in the Northwest’s largest city over the death of Floyd in police custody. Monday’s protests were largely peaceful but turned chaotic as officers dispersed the crowd at night using tear gas and flash-bang devices. Authorities said demonstrators threw fireworks and tried to storm a barricade, but citizen video showed the chaos began when an officer grabbed a pink umbrella that a demonstrator was holding just across a barricade.

Standing next to the city’s police chief at the downtown Emergency Operations Center, Durkan said she supported the crowd’s right to rally against injustice.

“We want you to march, we want you to raise your voices, we want you to continue on your path of justice,” Durkan said over a microphone as the crowd listened, mostly in silence. “But we need you, please, to do it peacefully.” The mayor, a former U.S. attorney, then took questions from some in the crowd.

St. Paul Mayor, son of a police officer, on the importance of community policing

A somber protest at the Minneapolis intersection where Floyd died

MINNEAPOLIS — The curfew came and went, but a group of demonstrators remained at the Minneapolis intersection where George Floyd's life came to an end more than a week ago.

“One nation, one love,” a protester said holding a microphone. “America where is your compassion for us? Where is your compassion for human rights?”

Meanwhile, a small group protesters climbed to the top of a nearby boarded-up Speedway store and looked on while listening to the speakers.

Protesters had gathered dozens of bouquets of flowers, signs and candles to form a circle as a small group of demonstrators gathered around silently paying their respects.