Bottles that were supposed to contain Children’s Motrin grape chewable ibuprofen tablets might mistakenly contain an adult dose of a different kind of over-the-counter painkiller, a drugmaker announced Wednesday.
A lot that was distributed nationwide to wholesale and retail customers between Feb. 5 and April 1 might mistakenly contain eight-hour extended release Tylenol Geltabs, McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals said.
The children’s product is a purple tablet with a grape smell. The adult product is a shiny red-and-white, gelatin-coated tablet.
The manufacturing lot number, which is embossed on the carton end flap, and printed on the bottle label under McNeil’s address, is “Exp 1/06 JAM108.”
Parents who believe their children may have taken the adult product by mistake should contact their health care provider or a poison control center immediately.
In children, an acetaminophen overdose can lead to nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain and liver failure, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Anyone identifying one of the bottles is asked to contact McNeil’s Consumer Relationship Center at 1-800-962-5357.