/ Source: The Associated Press
A doctor who took part in a double hand transplant on a young Polish soldier earlier this month says the operation has been a success and the patient is doing fine.
Dr. Ahmed Elsaftawy said Wednesday that seven doctors and thirteen nurses from the Trzebnica hospital in southwestern Poland operated on the 34-year-old man June 5 to transplant both hands simultaneously. He said it was first such operation in Poland and the third in Europe.
He says the patient can move the fingers on both hands, which came from a female donor.
The soldier, who lost both hands in an explosion in a training accident three years ago, was not identified.