/ Source: The Associated Press
Cingular Wireless offers tips on how to make the best use of cell phones if there is a hurricane or other catastrophe.
- Program all vital and emergency numbers like police and fire departments into your cell phone. Also program the numbers of family members.
- Have a family communications plan. Cingular suggests designating someone outside the area as a central contact for family members who may become separated from loved ones.
- Keep wireless phone batteries charged at all times and have an alternate plan like extra batteries or a car charger in case of extended power outages.
- Keep your wireless phone dry and out of the elements.
- Forward your home number to your wireless phone. Call forwarding is based out of a company’s central office, so you will get forwarded calls even if your landline is disrupted.
- Use text messaging, which often will go through more quickly than a voice call.
- Keep non-emergency calls to a minimum and limit calls to the most important ones.