Firefighters broke down the doors of a burning house Tuesday where a family of 13 was trapped by the flames and deadbolt locks. A deaf couple and two girls were critically injured, but the rest of the family was rescued unharmed, officials said.
The fire started about 4:40 a.m., possibly with a space heater, city fire spokesman Brian Humphrey said. The two-bedroom house was being remodeled and the smoke alarms had been removed, he said.
While some family members escaped from the one-story home through windows, firefighters had to break open the locked doors to rescue those still inside, he said.
"We were literally on our hands and knees, crawling through the building, fighting fire in the heat and smoke and also looking for victims," said Fire Capt. Jack Weis.
Firefighters carried out a deaf woman, about 65, who uses a wheelchair, and her disabled and deaf husband, Humphrey said. A 10-year-old girl was found not breathing and without a pulse but was revived, he said.
All three were hospitalized in critical condition with burns and smoke inhalation.
A 9-year-old girl who jumped from a window also was in critical condition with burns on both arms, Humphrey said.
It took 60 firefighters about half an hour to douse the fire, Humphrey said. He said the house was destroyed.
All 13 people in the home were related, officials said.