/ Source: Reuters
Attackers hit the U.S. embassy in Athens on Friday with a rocket, authorities said.
Officials said anonymous callers have said the leftist Revolutionary Struggle guerrilla group was behind the strike.
Here are details of five attacks claimed by the Revolutionary Struggle:
- May 5, 2004 — 100 days before the start of the Athens Olympics, the group, which surfaced less than a year before, stages a triple bombing attack at an Athens police station that caused extensive damage. The group says its attack was a warning to people to stay away from the Games.
- Oct. 29, 2004 — A small home-made bomb left on a bridge explodes seconds after a police bus carrying prison guards drove past. There were no injuries but the audacity of the daytime attack shocks police.
- Dec. 12, 2005 — A bomb explosion rocks Greece’s Economy Ministry in Athens, injuring two people and causing extensive damage. The blast blows out nearby shop fronts, damages cars and cafes and shatters windows in the business district of the city shortly before morning rush hour.
- May 30, 2006 — A remotely detonated bomb explodes near the Greek Culture Minister’s home in Athens, wrecking nearby cars but missing the minister. George Voulgarakis, whom the Revolutionary Struggle said it wanted to kill, had not left his house when the bomb went off.
- Jan. 12, 2007 — A rocket launched from across the street slams into the highly secured U.S. Embassy compound, shattering windows and causing no injuries.