KENTON, Ohio — Someone's getting some extra kibble.
Greg Weaver, a resident of this western Ohio town, said the family dog likely saved him and his fiancee from a weekend fire at their home.
The dog, named Katie Bell, was sleeping near the couple after they went to bed in an upstairs room. She woke them around 4 a.m. Sunday by whining and acting restless, said Weaver.
When Weaver tried to let the dog out of the bedroom, she tried to stop him by blocking the doorway, Weaver said. When he did open the door, he was greeted by black smoke.
Climbed from window
Weaver and his fiancee, Misty Parker, escaped the fire by climbing out a window and jumping into the bed of Weaver's pickup truck below, he said.
"We lost a lot of things that are unreplacable," Weaver said. "But if it weren't for Katie crying, we wouldn't have woken up."
Kenton Fire Chief Russ Blue said the fire started on the first floor, where an extension cord was plugged into a space heater.