IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Five AU peacekeepers killed in Darfur region

Unidentified gunmen killed five African Union peacekeepers in the Darfur region of western Sudan, the deadliest single attack against the force since late 2004, an AU spokesman said on Monday.
/ Source: Reuters

Unidentified gunmen killed five African Union peacekeepers in the Darfur region of western Sudan, the deadliest single attack against the force since late 2004, an AU spokesman said on Monday.

The five were guarding a water point near the Sudanese border with Chad when they came under fire on Sunday, Noureddine Mezni said. Four soldiers were killed in the shooting and the fifth died of his wounds on Monday morning.

Three gunmen were also killed, he said.

“We strongly condemn this cowardly attack against the very people who are working hard to achieve peace in Darfur,” Mezni told Reuters.

“It was totally unprovoked. ... This is the biggest number of (AU) casualties in one day since the African Union mission started operating,” he added.

Increasingly dangerous mission
The new bloodshed came after the new United Nations humanitarian chief, John Holmes, said during a visit to the region last month that aid efforts in Darfur — the largest in the world —could collapse if the situation deteriorates further.

Asked if the assailants’ bodies were identified, Mezni said: “An investigation is under way and there will be a statement with more details.”

The killings bring to 15 the number of African Union personnel killed in Darfur since the troops were deployed in late 2004. A senior Nigerian officer working with the mission has been missing since he was kidnapped in December.

The African Union operates an overstretched 7,000-strong force in Darfur. Sudan has rejected the deployment of a larger U.N. force in the region, where violence has persisted despite a 2006 peace agreement between the government and one rebel faction.

Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir on Monday reiterated his position that the AU had the main security responsibility for Darfur but said a “dialogue” was under way on other issues.

Sudanese officials recently said they were willing to review U.N. proposals for easing the violence in Darfur, where AU forces have failed to tackle the bloodshed.

Bashir stressed however that the key to ending the conflict in Darfur rests with the Sudanese.

“The solution to the Darfur issue must be a national responsibility, with the sons and daughters of Sudan,” Bashir told parliament.

The United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) condemned the attack.

“UNMIS stresses the urgent need to identify those responsible for the attacks...and to hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” it said in a statement.

Violence continues
That may not be easy. U.N. officials and aid workers say all types of armed groups are exploiting Darfur’s chaos and it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell them apart

Experts estimate that around 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million have fled their homes since the conflict flared in 2003, when rebels took up arms against Khartoum, charging it with neglect. The government says only 9,000 people have died.

Darfuris say government-backed Janjaweed militias have stormed through their villages, killing, raping and burning down their huts. The government says it has no ties to the Janjaweed, which it calls outlaws.

The attack on AU forces came a day after a helicopter carrying the African Union deputy force commander came under fire on its way from western Darfur to the force’s headquarters in El Fasher, the region’s biggest town.